Passing knowledge and experience on to an aspiring pilot is one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences in aviation. At Rainier, we take this honor seriously and prepare applicants to be the best instructor possible.
Not only do flight instructors need to have detailed knowledge and understanding of all subject areas, but they must also convey that information in a matter that best matches the student's learning style. Our Flight Instructor Courses address this through role-playing and extensive practice with our experienced instructors. Of equal importance, we address professionalism and demeanor in every lesson to ensure a well-rounded program.
To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;
- Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:
- An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
- An instrument rating, or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought.
This sheet itemizes the costs associated with obtaining a Flight Instructor Certificate. However, costs vary greatly due to individual needs, past experience and learning styles. We provide many additional resources for FREE because our goal is to make training as affordable and efficient as possible.
FAA Knowledge Exams: $350
- Flight Instructor - Airplane
- Fundamentals of Instructing
*Aircraft Rental: 25 Hrs Avg
See Aircraft page for available aircraft and rates.
*Ground Instruction: 40 Hrs Avg
Practise ground training and role playing.
*Flight Instruction: 25 Hrs Avg
Dual instruction including flight training, preflight and postflight briefings.
FAA Practical Exam - $1200
Oral and flight evaluation with FAA Designated Examiner
*The best way to reduce training cost is to take ownership of your training process and use the airplane and instructor time efficiently. Through self-study and preparing for each lesson the instructor can focus on practical application of your knowledge.